Any substance, germ, bacteria or infectants that cause skin allergic reactions can be called as skin allergens. You may come into contact with these allergens through food, medicines and drugs, environmental elements or other human skin and related organs.
Some of the allergens are mild in nature while the others cause strong reactions in your skin. You will be able to understand about the nature and action of these allergens once you know their typical characteristics.
Your skin may be allergic to specific element(s) from the list given below and you may not be allergic to others. Intensity of allergy to these elements may also vary between individuals.
Rice is one of the rare allergies causing element among some people, especially children. It can cause hives with rashes and red blisters at the point of contact. When this type of allergy progresses to critical condition i is called Anaphylaxis in medical science.
- Symptoms: Frequent wheezing, breathing issues, itching sensation in mouth, swelling of throat, red rashes on skin etc.
- Solution: Avoid consumption of rice. Consult your dermatologist to solve your allergic reaction and suggestion for alternate food.
Meat can cause Atopic Dermatitis in some people. It results in skin inflammation with red and itching patches all over the skin. Beef, sausage and lamb are some common types that cause allergy.
- Symptoms: Uncontrolled itching and sense of skin irritation on hands, abdomen chest and back. Sometimes it may lead to skin inflammation.
- Solution: Switch over to fish food. Replacing omega three fatty acids for fatty type of meat can also help in reducing inflammation conditions in your skin. Recommended types of fish are tune, herring and salmon.
Penicillin is a medicine used as a powerful antibiotic for treating many types of fever, infections and rheumatic conditions. It works effectively by preventing multiplication of bacteria and eliminating them from the body. However it may have some side effects on some people who are allergic to it.
- Symptoms: Penicillin can cause hives with rashes and itching sensation all over your body skin. Swollen lips are another symptom of the allergy. It could also lead to tenderness of skin and blisters in critical conditions.
- Solution: If you are supposed to take penicillin in the form of shots, capsules or any other it is better to get advice from your physician. She will be able to test your skin’s reaction to the medicine before administering it. She will switch over to an alternate medicine to which your skin has no allergic reaction.
Anti inflammation drugs
Anti inflammation drugs (non steroidal type) are used for relieving pain and reduce inflammation to maximum extent. Aspirin, naproxen, ibuprofen and other generic forms of medicines are grouped under this category. They work by blocking the inflammation causing chemicals.
- Symptoms: Overdose of anti inflammation drugs can cause skin dryness, contact dermatitis, exanthem (rashes with feverish conditions), hives or angioderma (swelling of mucus membrane and skin cells it can happen in the areas of lips and eyes).
- Solution: Your doctor will be able to give you a test dosage to check for negative reactions on your skin. If any such reactions are observed she will immediately change the medication.
The surroundings in your living, working and travelling spaces can have long lasting effects on your skin. Pollen, pet allergens, insects, mold, dust, mite and other elements are the elements to be avoided if your skin is allergic to them.
- Symptoms: They can cause dry skin, scaling on skin surface, irritation and rashes.
- Solution: Regular housekeeping work needs to be done at your home, working place and your car. Avoid water leaks, moisture and dust deposit. You need to wear protective clothing when you go to places prone to such allergens.
Cosmetics And Perfume
Some types of cosmetics, perfumes room fresheners and aromatic substances contain allergy causing chemicals in them. They can cause skin irritation and infections.
- Symptoms: Initial symptoms could be mild irritation and itching sensation in your skin. It may slowly develop into rashes, bumps and blisters. Dry skin and scaling on skin surface could be the other reactions of your skin to these elements.
- Solution: Avoid using allergy causing cosmetics, perfume and other aromatic substances. If the reactions don’t stop you need to consult your dermatologist.
These are elements that come into direct contact with your skin. Latex, nail polish, hair dye, nylon, polyester and other clothing materials can cause skin allergy to various extent.
- Symptoms: Skin rashes are common symptoms observed in most of the cases. Hands, feet, genital areas, underarm, scalp and back skin develop tiny dots which can grow into bumps.
- Solution: Consult your dermatologist and get the appropriate treatment for your illness.
Hygienic lifestyle can help in reducing many of the allergens in your surroundings. Wearing washed clothes, bating every day, keeping your nails trimmed and your skin hydrated are some of the simple solutions to stay away from skin allergens. You need to consume minimum of 2 to 3 litres of pure drinking water every day to keep your bowels and liver clean. It also increases the hydration levels of your skin to great extent.
Exposure to pollution during dense traffic jams also acts as one of the major allergens. Since there is no way you can avoid getting into such situations, you need to practice wearing covering clothes and filter masks for your nose.
When your skin gets infected by any of the above specified allergens and others it is better to avoid self medication as it can prove to be risky. You need to consult your dermatologist or family doctor to get the right prescription of medicine.
Avoid scratching of itching skin as it might worsen your skin condition. Stay away from harsh chemicals and other irritating elements. When you are able to follow these simple steps you can hope to prevent the entry of most allergens into your skin from the external environment.