Homemade skin care recipes can be prepared with basic ingredients from your kitchen shelf.
Immunization, exfoliation, hydration, cleansing, conditioning, toning, brightening & lightening and prevention of skin disorders are your main goals when you prepare and apply homemade recipes.
The ingredients depend on your surrounding environment (and season), your age, type & tone of your skin and its present health condition. In this section you can read about some simple homemade skin recipes based on these parameters.
Skin Tone and Type
Skin tones are basically categorized into fair, olive, brown, yellow and dark complexions. Skin types are split into 6 categories based on some unique characteristics. These are called the Fitzpatrick categorization of skin types, developed by Thomas Fitzpatrick in 1970s.
- Type 1 is the most sun sensitive skin. It does not show any signs of tanning. Frequent skin burns are common when exposed to sun.
- Type 2 is the acute sun sensitive skin. Tanning level has the minimum value for this type. Skin burns are common when exposed to sun.
- Type 3 is moderately sun sensitive. Skin burns are said to be rare. Tanning happens slowly, resulting in light shade of brown.
- Type 4 is least sensitive to sun. You can hardly find any signs of skin burns. Tanning happens to moderate brown tone.
- Type 5 is not sensitive to sun at all. It has near zero possibilities of sun burns. Tanning happens to deep brown tone.
- Type 6 is highly insensitive to sun. Sun burns are never heard of. It has a deep dark pigmented tone.
Apart from these basic types your skin can be categorized into normal, oily, dry, sensitive and combinational skin based in certain parameters.
- Normal skin has optimum levels of skin oil, moisture and nutrient contents. Skin pores are visible but not too large. Skin has no wrinkles or lines. There are no visible dark spots.
- As the name suggests, oily skin has excess of shiny appearance. In some cases it may look greasy. Pore size is normally big. Skin often becomes coarse. Acne attacks could be frequent.
- Dry skin normally appears to be dull with wrinkles or lines. Flakes on skin are common. Moisture level is abnormally low. Facial skin in the T-zone and cheeks has maximum dryness features.
- Sensitive skin develops rashes, red spots and bumps easily when exposed to sun or pollution, heat and humid conditions. Itching and burning sensations could be common. Skin may peel off at spots exposed to external elements.
- Combination type has the characteristics of oily and dry skin. T zone in the face is excessively oily in nature. Large pores with acne breakout are common in nose and forehead. Cheeks and rest of facial skin is dry in nature. Body skin is normally dry in the areas exposed to sun and the rest is oily in nature.
Once you have understood your skin tone and type based on the above parameters, it becomes easy for you to choose the best recipe which suits your skin.
Skin Care Recipes with Honey
Honey is one of the ingredients which are good enough for all types of skin. It is anti bacterial, it has anti aging characteristics, it boosts skin complexion, it has moisturizing elements, it is an anti oxidant and it has a soothing effect on skin. So many recipe made from honey is said to be highly effective and quick in showing results.
- Honey recipe for normal skin can have ingredients like: jojoba oil or coconut oil (for bacteria removal), baking soda (remove dead skin), olive oil (inflammation), turmeric powder (antiseptic, beautification), Aloe Vera liquid and vitamin E oil (acne), essential oils (conditioning, toning, brightening & lightening).
- Honey recipe for dry skin can have ingredients like: milk, egg yolk, jojoba oil (dead skin removal) coconut oil(moisturizer) , almond oil or ground almond(skin nourishing), lemon syrup (skin scrub) , vitamin c oil (antioxidant) , lavender oil/rosemary oil/ chamomile oil/sandalwood oil(glow and beautification) and Aloe Vera(antiseptic).
- Honey recipe for oily skin can include: apple cider vinegar/lemon syrup (Dead skin removal), sea salt /sugar (flakes removal), turmeric powder (antiseptic), milk (skin softening), chocolate powder (skin brightening), tomato juice (moisturizing, oil control), almond (anti aging), egg white (cleansing), fuller’s earth ( skin tightening, elasticity) and Aloe Vera (antioxidant, moisturizing, antiseptic).
- Honey recipe for combination skin can include: lavender oil/sandalwood oil/ jasmine oil/rose oil (skin nourishment), lemon syrup/apple cider vinegar (excess oil removal, dead skin removal), salt /sugar (flakes removal), turmeric powder (antiseptic), lemon syrup (skin conditioning and brightening) and Aloe Vera (cleansing, moisturizing, anti aging).
- Honey recipe for sensitive skin can include Feverfew (inflammation cure), cucumber (moisturizing), oatmeal (skin nourishment), glycerin (toning, cell maturation) chamomile oil/jasmine oil/sandalwood oil (suppleness, healing, beautification) and Aloe Vera (cleansing, moisturizing, anti aging).
Only a few sample ingredients are listed here. Moreover the ingredients for one type of skin could also be applicable for the other skin types for a different purpose.
All recipes listed here are derived from the practical trial and error techniques. Some of them may be applicable to your skin type while some may not suit. You need to consult your dermatologist before making use of any recipes explained here, especially if your skin is allergic to specific ingredients.
Skin Care Recipes from Your Kitchen
- Prepare a honey recipe by adding two teaspoons of honey, coconut oil, vitamin E oil; jasmine oil and turmeric powder in a bowl. Mix them well and apply on your skin areas which get exposed to sun and external elements frequently. It protects your skin from sunburns, heat and humidity. It also helps in preserving moisture content within skin cells and tissues.
- Take one teaspoon of honey with 1 teaspoon of feverfew oil, coconut oil, Aloe Vera liquid and coriander powder in a bowl. Mix well and apply on your skin areas affected with eczema, pimples, blemishes or pimples. Blisters around your lips and skin inflammation conditions can also be cured with this recipe.
Skin Care Recipe Calculator
The online skin care recipe calculator helps you in deriving the right formula of ingredients in grams/ml based on percentage.
Check this: Chinese Organic Skin Care