Written by Lisa Allen, MD
Most people would agree that the pressure build up in the ear is not the most comfortable of feelings to have. It can best be an irritant and in very extreme cases cause a fair bit of discomfiture.
There are some typical home remedies that can be used to get over the condition and rarely are the steps on how to relieve ear pressure be more than just a minor physical condition.
The part that the ear and particularly the inner ear play in the balancing of people make the ear more important than just to listen to sound. With more serious conditions of the ear a more serious approach to rectifying a simple condition is to be considered. At times a persistent ear pressure problem can cause a fair bit of trouble to the person afflicted with it.
Causes For The Typical High Ear Pressure
The first cause of high ear pressure is nothing but the pressure difference that exists between the inner ear and the outer ear. These two areas are distinct and separated by the ear drum and a difference in pressure can cause a mild humming to at times very severe pain around the area of the ear.
The inner ear is connected to the throat and the sinuses by various tubing that run along the inner part of the throat. This plays a crucial part in the equalization of ear pressure on both sides of the ear drum. Even a swallowing action can generate ear pressures to be built up and it is the more experienced person that knows to use the tubes to good effect that can contain the situation arising out of high ear pressure.
Ways On How To Relieve Ear Pressure
- Use Moisture In Rooms: With summer comes a general season of dryness of the atmosphere and in rooms that use air conditioning it is a usual grouse that the air is too dry. It is possible to overcome this condition by the use of humidifiers that maintain a balance of moisture in the air.
- Try A Decongestant: When a particular condition is particularly discomforting, it is a good idea to use a decongestant to the nasal passages. This helps remove any mucus or other discharges that are usually formed in the passages of the nose and throat. The free flow of air in the passages is essential to the proper balance of pressure between the two sides of the ear.
- Avoid Extreme Of Temperatures: It is a good idea for people that are particularly at distress with high ear pressure to be watchful of extreme of temperature. If it is not possible to completely avoid this situation it is best advised to make the transition from the temperature changes as gradual as possible.
- Blowing The Nose: This could well be the most practical of solutions to a high pressure build up in the ear. A good and gentle blowing action does clear away the inner tubes to bring about an equalization of pressures in the ear.
- Keeping The Head Up: As far as possible avoiding lowering the head. The lowered head can cause the fluids to flow to create a pressure difference between the inner ear and the outer one. This could be particularly paid heed to when someone has an infected sinus.
- Be Gentle In Movements: For people that are usually prone to ear pressure differences, it would be a good idea to restrict sudden and jerky movements. This is only bound to create a far worse situation.
- Intake of Fluids: There cannot be a sufficient emphasis on the need to be hydrated at all times. There had been established a direct relation between the dry throats in particular to the frequent need to equalize pressures.
- Avoid Caffeine: Coffee and other products that are high in caffeine must be used only sparingly and if possible completely avoided by people that are more prone to pressure problems of the ear. Most people do experience dryness on the consumption of caffeine and a good effort is needed in this aspect.
- Smoking: Like the coffee avoid tobacco in any form. This does directly contribute to the moisture content to the inner tubes of the throat and nose. Why build up habits that do have greater ramifications than just ear pressure differences.
Treating A Particularly Bad Case Of Pressure Differences In The Ear
Most treatment methods are usually symptomatic. That is, the corrective action taken varies with the different signs displayed by the patient. Rarely are pressure differences so acute that it needs the help of a medical practitioner. But there have been cases when a doctor’s help in enlisted.
For people that are susceptible to ear pressure differences, it must always be kept in mind to never aggravate an existing condition. Most situations are brought about by physical factors more than anything.
When Prevention Becomes More Important Than The Cure
It is always good that people that are particularly susceptible to ear pressure difference takes good care not to trigger a situation. A small effort to prevent situations that could trigger a situation could go a long way in keeping a person comfortable and safe.
The best interests are served by taking abundant of caution when traveling by air by people that are particularly prone to ear pressure imbalances. There are certain medical conditions like a sinus infection that do aggravate a situation and particular attention must be paid by people that do have such conditions.
There is always a tendency of a case of pressure difference to keep reoccurring in people that have had the situation before. Thus be prepared to have a multiple attacks if such situations have occurred once for mostly it would not restrict itself to a single occurrence.
Never are pressure differences in the ear fatal. But there are occasions when the condition does combine with other factors to produce particularly distressing situations. For example when a person is having an infection of the sinuses.