Written by Lisa Allen, MD
The risks of paediatric cancer are estimated to run high among children and pregnant women in USA owing to excess UV exposure from sun and skin tanning devices.
Non melanoma and melanoma types of skin cancer among pregnant women are said to be growing concerns in the recent past. Chemotherapy, radiation therapy and other forms of treatments are able to reduce the symptoms to considerable extent.
The scope of this article is limited to the skin care methods after the cancer related treatments. They are mainly concerned with healing of side effects on skin and hair. Wholesome approaches ensure protection from further side effects, healing and recovery over time.
The homemade recipes described here are supposed to be only additives to the main course of treatment which you may prefer to take from your dermatologist / doctor.
Skin Care in Post Radiation Treatment Period
Radiation treatment for cancer is mostly focussed only on those cells which carry the characteristics of cancer. However the healthy skin cells also tend to get affected by these treatments in some ways which goes beyond the control of radiation specialist.
As a result they get deprived of the essential life providing elements and start dying out. In some cases they simply lose the energy content. This leads to skin dryness, hair loss from skin and scalp regions, paling of skin, unusual peeling, blemishes, inflammation etc.
If a pregnant woman is undergoing radiation therapy, it can have its side effects on the health of growing fetus also. Hence the post radiation skin therapy should take care to avoid any further side effects on the growing baby in the womb.
The treatments focus mainly on the following parameters like overcoming effects of reproductive organs, balancing of Estrogens, prevent the caner from turning into malignant form ( if it is not so at present), healing of skin inflammations and other side effects and restoration of skin health reasonably closer to normal levels.
The duration and intensity of medication, therapy and treatments depend on the post diagnosis prescription given by the doctor.
Post Radiation Skin Care at Home
Skin inflammation could be reduced to considerable levels when the post skin cancer therapy treatments are accompanied with some of the homemade recipes which need to be applied on the skin areas undergoing treatment.
Since it is concerned with critical skin health factors it is recommended that you consult your doctor before following any of the recipes listed in here.
Recipe for skin irritation reduction
Take one teaspoon of honey with one teaspoon of sandalwood powder and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder. Mix them well and apply on skin areas undergoing treatment. You need to let the paste soak your skin areas for about 15 minutes. Then you can wash with warm water.
- Turmeric is supposed to be an antioxidant which has the capacity to suppress inflammation, reduce irritation, acts as an antiseptic and anti biotic naturally.
- Sandalwood is used for cooling the skin layers burnt by radiation.
- Honey is a natural moisturizer and skin vitalizing ingredient.
You need to apply this recipe whenever you go undergo skin treatment.
Recipe for removal of dead skin cells
Take one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of castor oil, one teaspoon of tea tree oil along with one teaspoon of honey and milk. Mix them well and apply on skin areas undergoing treatment. You need to let the liquid soak your skin areas for about 20 minutes. Then you can wash with warm water.
- Vinegar and castor oil combination can effectively remove the dead skin cells from the top epidermis layer.
- Tea tree oil is an antioxidant which can heal the active cells affected by radiation. That means these cells have lost their energy levels due to therapy and they are nearly lifeless.
- Tea tree oil combination along with honey can induce some volume of energizing factors into them. Now they will be able to respond to post radiation treatments more effectively than before.
- Honey is also used to reduce skin irritation from the epidermis, dermis and hypodermis layers.
- Castor oil is an antioxidant, antiseptic and anti biotic. Tea tree oil is also used for balancing the skin temperature within tolerable limits.
- Honey acts as natural moisturizer and skin vitalizing ingredient.
You need to apply this recipe once in a week to get effective results over a period of time.
Recipe for skin nourishment
Add one teaspoon of olive oil, one teaspoon of almond oil, one teaspoon of coconut oil, one teaspoon of Neem oil and one teaspoon of honey. Mix the ingredients well and apply on skin areas undergoing treatment. Let the liquid soak your skin areas for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then you can wash with warm water.
Olive oil and almond oil combination can provide highly skin nourishing ingredients.
Skin complexion could be restored to its normal levels after some weeks of following this recipe along with post radiation skin care treatment. Hydration levels slowly start returning to normalcy.
Post Laser Therapy Skin Care
- Skin massages with essential oils provide temporary relief to the skin inflammations, irritations and feelings of itching in the post LASER treatment period.
- Drink plenty of water with fruit juices made from gooseberry, watermelon, guava, pomegranate and lemon. They help in preventing skin dryness and hardening on areas for which post LASER skin care treatment is being provided.
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids have positive impact on the skin care procedures at home. You need to add fish, lean meat and lean poultry products to your everyday meal.
- Foods rich in vitamin C, K and E can provide substance ingredients for overcoming stress.
- Adding fresh and raw veggies salads can help in improving skin resistance to changing climatic conditions.
The changes in your skin health status may not be immediately visible to you as you go through treatments. They will become obvious over a period of time as the post skin cancer scars start healing slowly.