Written by Lisa Allen | Edited by Dr Mark Kapnoudhis
Summer times call for dedicated baby skin care as the increase in temperature and prevailing dry climatic conditions can cause skin problems.
Dryness in skin layers is mainly caused due to UV radiation and evaporation of existing moisture content. Exposure to excess of air conditioning during summer can also cause drying up of skin layers as the volume of freshly oxygenated air may drop in such conditions.
Recommended method of skin care consists of homemade recipes with essential oils, vegetable oils, hone, Aloe Vera and other herbal sources. You need to test the recipe on your baby skin with little quantity.
If there are any signs of irritation of discomfort you need to consult your paediatrician.
Points for How to Care Baby Skin in Summer
- Regular skin massaging with essential oils gives the strength to withstand hot summer conditions to considerable extent.
- Feed plenty of pure drinking water to your baby along with freshly prepared fruit juices made from apple, guava, gooseberry, sweet orange and grapes, kiwi fruits etc.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight during the day by protection with full and lose fitting clothes. Cotton is the most recommended fabric as it absorbs sweat and allows free circulation of air to reach the baby skin.
- Avoid using excess of talcum powder and keep it moderate. It is better to use talcum powder made from natural ingredients which help in prevention of skin irritation. Avoid chemical based soaps, toiletries and perfumes as they might cause photo allergic syndrome due to the chemicals and perfumery elements in them.
- Early morning exposure to sun light b between 6 and 7 can induce many vital ingredients like vitamin K and proteins into the baby skin. The recommended duration of exposure is only between 5 and 7 minutes.
- Feed plenty of veggies with minerals, vitamins and proteins. Once your kid reaches one year you could start feeding him small pieces of raw carrot, beet and cucumber.
- Use sunscreen made from the combination of 1 teaspoon honey, one teaspoon avocado oil, one teaspoon coconut oil, one teaspoon Aloe Vera liquid and ½ teaspoon lemon juice. Apply on your baby skin 10 minutes before taking him out.
- Neem oil bath is said to be highly effective for protection from common skin allergies and infections caused by yeast and bacteria during summer season. You need to take one tub of warm water and mix 1 cup of Neem oil or Neem leaves extract liquid. Let your baby soak his skin in the water for about 15 minutes. Then you can dry his skin with a towel and put on loose fitting clothes. You can add two teaspoons of essential oil like lavender for bringing element of skin fragrance naturally.
- Use tea tree oil in combination with honey, lemon juice and coconut oil to keep your baby skin soft and tender during summer. You need to add these ingredients in equal proportions and apply on his skin all over the body. Let the liquid soak his skin for about 15 to 20 minutes washing with warm water.
- If your kid is one year old and capable of walking, you need to pay special attention to his legs and heel skin areas. It is recommended that you make him wear slippers and open type of shoes which allow air circulation into his feet and heels. Cotton stockings are preferred over other materials.
Baby Skin Care in Summer for Fairness
- Skin cleansing
Take two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of lemon juice and /1 cup of coconut oil in a bowl and mix well. Add few leaves of mint and Neem.
Heat the ingredients until the leaves’ extract mixes with other ingredients well. Cool it to room temperature and apply on your kid’s skin all over. Allow the liquid to soak his skin for about 30 minutes before washing.
This recipe helps in restoration of moisture in your baby skin and removes dirt and other pollutants from the skin layers. Skin pores are cleansed and oil levels are balanced due to vinegar and Neem leaf extract.
- Skin fairness
Once the layers are cleansed, your baby skin is ready for natural fairness treatment. Take two teaspoons of Shea butter, one teaspoon of honey, and 1 cup of coconut milk in a bowl and mix well. Add few drops of essential oil.
Heat the ingredients until the butter melts and the ingredients mix well. Cool it to room temperature and apply on your kid’s skin all over. Allow the liquid to soak his skin for about 30 minutes before washing.
You need to follow it up with regular feeding of fruit juices made from pomegranate, red grapes or berries. The combinational treatment helps your baby skin to attain fairness. However you can’t expect a brown skinned or dark skinned baby to attain fairness by following this recipe.
The factor of fairness attached to this recipe only refers to enhancement of existing fairness and not about reduction of melanin and other complicated skin treatments. In case your baby has brown or dark tone the recipe helps in enhancing the skin tone and brightness.
Baby Skin Care Tips in Summer at Home
- Hydration of baby skin should be a regular process during summer. Making him bath in salty water tub once in a week can improve the capacity of his skin to retain moisture and get rid of oily content.
- Oily skin care in summer at home is to be managed with the help of skin lotion made from apple cider vinegar, honey, cardamom oil; eucalyptus oil and lemon juice. You need to take one teaspoon of each ingredient and mix well in a bowl. Apply the recipe on your baby skin affected by excess oil and let it soak for about 15 minutes. Then you can give a warm water shower to him. The same liquid can be sued for skin and hair care during summer to enhance the strength of hair follicles and skin layers.