Written by Lisa Allen | Edited by Dr Mark Kapnoudhis
Skin bags under the eyes are the inflated skin tissues which may contain fat and fluids. They are also known as puffy eyes and emerge in the form of swelling. They may appear among elders due to natural increase in tissue fatness in that region, or they can affect younger people due to skin infections, allergies, alcohol abuse, food problems, thyroid problems and pregnancy.
Skin bags don’t pose any sort of medical problems to the individual, but they give the appearance of skin aging. Connective tissues of the skin progressively become weaker, leading to enlargement of skin bags with time.
According to dermatologists it is possible to eliminate such skin bags with the help of homemade herbal remedies when they are in the initial stages or their intensity is in mild/ moderate stages. In cases of critical conditions they may recommend therapy or treatment. Plastic surgery is another available option to get rid of skin bags.
Yellow Skin Bags Under Eyes
These are the aging signs that appear due to loss of stiffness in the skin cells and underlying connecting tissues & muscles. The yellow colour of the skin is due to loss of vital nutrients and vitamins from skin cells.
It is possible to treat the yellow bags under eyes with herbal homemade remedies.
- The first step towards reducing the size of eye bags starts with applying cold teabags on the swelling areas. However this is considered to be only a temporary solution as the swelling may come back after some time. Hence it is important to take out the fatty substances from the eye bags in order to make the remedy effective for a long time.
- Peri orbital puffiness causing fatty substances need to be drained and tissues have to be tightened in order to prevent the recurrence. It can be done effectively with the help of paste made from turmeric powder and baking soda.
Take one teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of lemon syrup and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Mix the ingredients in a bowl and apply on the eye bags. Let the paste soak the bags for 15 minutes. Then you can wash with warm water. Sodium bicarbonate present in baking soda and Curcumin (anti inflammatory and fat burning) in turmeric can burn the fat accumulation effectively.
Lemon juice contains vitamin C which is an essential ingredient for the synthesis of collagen in the skin helps skin tissues tightening. Coconut oil prevents the formation of eye bags by replacing the unhealthy cholesterol based fat with healthy fat that builds the tensile strength of under the eyes skin layers. You should continue using the recipe twice a week for 3 to 4 months for the preventive measures to take effect.
Itchy Skin Bags Under Eyes
Itchy bags under eyes are formed due to inflammations caused by allergic reactions of the skin. They can be caused by chemicals in makeup, medicinal side effects, skin infections etc. It is important to determine the right cause so that it becomes easy to provide the suitable treatment.
1. Chemicals in makeup can cause itchy skin bags which may be temporal in nature. That means the symptoms will go away once the skin is kept away from such makeup. In some cases they may cause long lasting effects which need to be healed with natural homemade recipe.
Take one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon of honey. Mix the ingredients in a bowl and apply on itchy skin bags under eyes. Let the ingredients soak for about 20 minutes. Antioxidant properties of turmeric can absorb most of the chemicals and eliminate them from skin.
Vinegar is capable of breaking down the fat elements in skin cells. Honey is used to moisturize the skin area. Turmeric also helps in disinfecting the itchy skin and rebuilding of collagen. When the recipe is followed for a period of 3 to 4 weeks your skin will be free from itchy eye bags.
2. Bacterial infections cause eye bags to form and swell. Sinus infection could be one such bacterial effect which influences growth of bags.
You need to remove the sinus blocking by bacteria which enables clean blood to flow in maxillary sinuses. It results in the elimination of inflammation and skin bags.
Home treatment for sinus infections can take relatively long time, especially when the intensity and allergic symptoms are acute or critical. Surgery is one of the recommended procedures. Once the blockage is cleared completely the eye bags also get eliminated.
3. Liver infections, eczema and anaemia could also cause itchy skin bags under eyes. They can be treated only after healing the root cause infections. Once the infection is healed it can be followed up with herbal treatments for the bags.
Take two teaspoons of turmeric powder, one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, one teaspoon of honey, one teaspoon of jujube oil and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix the ingredients and apply on itchy skin bags. Let the ingredients soak the skin for about 15 minutes.
Then you can wash with warm water.
Dark Skin Bags Under Eyes
Excess exposure to UV radiation can cause dark bags under eyes. It is mainly due to the swelling of skin tissues from UV rays.
Vitamin C and vitamin E need to be replenished into the affected skin areas to reduce inflammation, promote collagen growth, increase tensile strength of skin and eliminate dark skin bags.
The skin treatment for bags under eyes is given with 1 teaspoon of castor oil, one teaspoon of vitamin c powder/oil, one teaspoon of vitamin E oil, one teaspoon of turmeric and ½ teaspoon of honey. Mix the ingredients to form a thick paste. Apply on affected skin areas. Let the ingredients soak the bags for about 15 minutes. Then you can wash with warm water.
Continue applying the recipe for 2 to 3 weeks for the elimination of dark skin bags under eyes. If you don’t find any improvements you need to consult your dermatologist.