Written by Lisa Allen, MD
The pores in your skin perform multiple functions to keep your body fit and healthy.
The main task of pores is to eliminate sweat, dirt and other toxic elements from your body. The other functions are maintenance of body temperature, lubrication of skin cells from sebum oil and keeping the skin free from infection & diseases.
Sometimes skin pores get clogged due to various reasons. In such cases the normal functions of skin get affected.
In this section you can read about the possible causes, symptoms and the organic skin care for clogged pores.
Causes for Skin Pore Clogging
Some of the most common causes for skin pore clogging are
- Excess oil deposition
- Dead skin cells
- Dry skin conditions
- Dehydration of skin
- Skin allergies
- Genetic causes
- External elements
Excess Oil Deposition
Skin pores are the channels through which sebum (oil producing pigment) distributes oil to all the skin cells in different layers. As long as the process is within normal conditions the skin stays healthy.
There are certain conditions when the skin oil gets produced in excess. One such condition is the formation of acne and blackheads due to free radicals reaction from UV radiation. Excess of oil blocks the pores, preventing skin breathing and elimination of toxic elements.
How to cure it?
Clogged pores treatment through removal of blackheads and acne is the only solution for this problem. If the condition is in the initial stages you can get solutions for this problem through homemade recipes and treatments. If the condition goes beyond this stage then you need to consult your dermatologist.
- Mint leaves can provide reliable cure for blackheads and acne. You need to mix 2 teaspoons of chopped mint leaves with equal proportions of yogurt and oatmeal powder.
- Blend them to prepare a paste. Apply this paste to the skin areas affected by clogged pores. Let the paste get absorbed for about 20 minutes.
- Then you can wash the skin with warm water. You need to repeat this procedure twice a day for about 10 days. Your skin can experience relief from clogged pores to considerable extent. You can use this procedure for clogged pores on cheeks as well as clogged pores all over body.
Dead Skin Cells
Dead skin cells can clog the skin pores by overlapping them. It starts over a limited skin area and spreads rapidly to cover large areas within a short time.
The most intriguing part of this type of clog is that you won’t even be able to observe them. Common symptoms are rise in skin temperature, loss of sweating, skin irritation and itching. Sometimes the skin layer becomes hard and dry.
How to cure it?
- Apple cider vinegar (or Listerine Vinegar) is one of the most powerful liquids which can remove dead skin layers and give you relief from clogged skin pores.
- Take 2 teaspoons of vinegar in a small bowl. You can add ½ teaspoon of lemon syrup and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to give immunity to your skin while dead skin cells are being removed.
- Mix well and prepare a thin paste. Apply it all over your skin and let it soak your skin for about 30 minutes. Then wash it off with warm water.
- Take a tissue paper and rub your skin gently while it is still wet. You will be able to see the color of paper change. It is the deposition of dead cells which are removed from the top skin layer.
- Repeat the procedure after a break of 15 minutes. Following this procedure for 10 to 12 days can clear your skin pores.
Dry Skin Conditions
Since the top skin layers containing pores don’t have any muscles you will not be able to flex them when they shrink. This condition of shrinking results when your skin goes dry.
Skin pores get blocked due to shrinking of cells. It results in deposition of sweat and other toxic elements within the skin layers, leading to allergy, infections and skin diseases.
How to cure it?
Hydration of skin is the only solution for this problem. You can follow any of the homemade remedies to hydrate your skin. The process has to be external as well as internal. That means your problem may not get solved by apply a moisturizer or lotion only. You need to hydrate the inner layers of the skin by consuming water (3 to 4 liters per day) and fresh fruit juices.
- You can prepare the moisturizer by adding 2 teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of avocado oil, 2 teaspoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel. Mix the ingredients and apply on to your entire skin area. Let the liquid soak your skin for about 30 to 40 minutes while you rest in a cool place. Then you can wash off with warm water.
- Coconut oil is another good moisturizer which you can apply. You can add few drops of essential oils and sesame oil to enhance the effects of hydration and skin brightening. If your skin is too dry it absorbs the ingredient within a few minutes. Repeat the procedure twice or thrice. Following this simple procedure with consumption of water and fruit juices can restore the hydration levels of your skin within 10 to 15 days.
Similarly you can find appropriate cure for the other types of skin pore clogging conditions.
Organic Skin Toner
Once you get rid of pore clogs you need to tone your skin to make it lively and bright. You can do it with the help of 1 cup Aloe Vera juice, 1 teaspoon of vitamin E powder and 1/4th teaspoon of essential oil.
Optionally you can add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Mix the ingredients well and apply all your skin. Let the liquid soak your skin overnight. Repeat this procedure twice a week for 15 days to get visible changes to your toned skin.
Organic Skin Bronzer
Mixing equal proportions of cocoa powder, nutmeg, sandalwood powder and Aloe Vera liquid with skin rubbing alcohol can give you the best organic skin bronzer. Apply it over your skin once a day for 15 days. Your skin will experience visible changes.
Organic Skin Detox
Mix 3 to 4 teaspoons of eucalyptus oil with your bathing water every day. It has the right ingredients to detox your skin.