Written by Lisa Allen, MD
Skin oil is naturally balanced by sebum from the oil producing sebaceous glands. According to American Academy of Dermatology, an analysis of sebum production in normal skin and acne affected skin revealed many interesting facts.
Lipids present in the skin surface were found to be mainly responsible for variation of skin oil. Sebum is made of Tri-glycerides, fatty acids (sapienic acid), wax esters, squalene and cholesterol. Sapienic acid imbalance can cause outburst of acne in large volume.
It can be balanced with proper diet and skin care treatments. The treatment methods could be time consuming and complex in nature. You need to have patience while undergoing these treatments and follow the guidelines clearly.
Homemade solutions could provide relief to imbalanced skin oil as long as the symptoms are in mild and intermediate conditions. When the skin oil imbalance leads to critical or chronic conditions of acne and other skin inflammations, infections and diseases you certainly need the intervention of skin specialists for overcoming such conditions.
Organic Foundation for Oily Skin
- Diet is the foundation on which all other treatments for oily skin are based. Carrots, green leafy veggies, lettuce, bell pepper, fish and sweet potato can provide plenty of vitamin A which in turn controls functions of sebum. Antioxidants like vitamin C can suppress the sebaceous glands’ over reaction to free radicals oxidation. They bring a balance in the production of sebum and balance the skin oil levels.
- Once this foundation is established you can focus on eliminating the effects of oil imbalance like acne, pimples, skin rashes and other symptoms. You can avail treatments from your skin specialist over a period of time which can heal your skin.
- In the third stage you need to focus on reviving the texture, tone and beauty of your skin which has been damaged due to excess sebum. Scars of acne can take long time to go away unless treated with natural medications. Acne scars are two types namely depressed and raised. Intensity of scars depends on the extent of damages done by acne.
- Gum Guggul extract can be used for elimination of ace scars. It is a natural resin which can be mixed with Aloe Vera gel or liquid and applied on your skin areas affected by acne scars. You need to wait till the liquid dries off your skin naturally. Then you can wash your skin with cool water. Applying this liquid for a span of about 2 weeks can make acne scars to go away.
- Female Ginseng recipe with extracts from oil leaves can be used for making a massaging liquid. You need to apply it on raised acne scars which often resemble needles or dome like structures extending out of your skin. Use a cotton bud to apply the liquid slowly around these tiny projections, taking care not to prick or break them. Let the liquid soak your skin for about 40 to 45 minutes. Then you can wash with cool water. Use soft towel to dry your skin. Repeat this treatment for a period of 10 to 15 days. You will be surprised to see the raised acne scars disappear.
Organic Moisturizer for Oily Skin
Mix turmeric powder, Aloe Vera liquid and sandalwood powder in the ratio of 1:2:1 in a bowl. Apply the paste on your skin affected by dry skin. Let the liquid soak yours kin for about 30 minutes. Then you can wash with cool water.
Add 2 teaspoons of Shea butter, 1 teaspoon of essential oil and 5 grams of beeswax in a bowl and boil till the ingredients melt. Cool the mix and add two tablespoons of Aloe Vera. Stir well until the combination turns into a fine cream.
Apply on your skin and let the ingredients seep into your skin layers. It is better practice to apply this cream and let it soak your skin overnight. Then you can wash with cool water.
Take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, Shea butter, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, eucalyptus oil, and vitamin E oil and 1 teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel. Mix the ingredients in a bowl and heat it to boiling. Let the mix cool for about 15 minutes. Then you can apply it onto the skin areas.
Your skin has the capacity to absorb the ingredients of Shea butter like fatty acids, cocoa butter, oleic acid, stearic acid and linolenic acid. These elements help your skin cells to trap the water content from the foods you consume and retain them. Hence you need to consume minimum of 3 to 4 liters of water every day while you treat your skin for hydration and oil level balancing.
Add 2 teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of essential oil (lavender) and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a bowl. Heat the ingredients till they mix well. Cool the liquid and add two tablespoons of Aloe Vera liquid. Apply on your skin and let the ingredients seep into your skin layers. You need to wait for at least 1 hour before washing your skin with cool water.
Organic Remedies for Oily Skin
Add 3 teaspoons of lavender oil with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil and 2 teaspoons of Aloe Vera liquid in a bowl and mix well by stirring. Add few drops of honey, 1/4th cup of milk and coconut milk. Add one teaspoon of homemade ghee.
You need to heat the mix to moderate temperature. If the mix is getting too thicker you can add more milk to balance it. Cool the mix until it becomes a thick liquid. You must ensure that it does not turn into a paste.
Apply it all over your skin, especially on those parts that have excess oily conditions. Let it soak your skin for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then you can wash it off with warm water.
This procedure needs to be repeated thrice a week. Your skin will start retaining moisture to considerable levels within a period of two weeks.