Written by Lisa Allen | Edited by Dr Mark Kapnoudhis
Elders skin care needs to focus on many aspects like skin pore clogging, wrinkles control (practically it is not possible to eliminate the skin wrinkles after you have reached certain age above 70s.
Even if you were to use the most advanced laser techniques, their effects would be lasting only for a few months. Hence it is suggested that your focus needs to be on controlling them. The other important aspects of skin care for elders would include
- Protection from skin infections and diseases.
- Protection from UV radiation , heat and humidity.
- Hydration methods for skin and body.
- Protection from skin pore clogging.
- Removal of excess oil from the skin layers and oil level balancing.
- Elimination of dead skin cells from top layers and wholesome skin care.
There are various methods by which you will be able to achieve your goals. Homemade recipes give you the most convenient methods, wherein you use natural ingredients with near zero side effects.
Procedures for Skin Care
Procedures used in homemade skin care are simple, yet they follow a specific pattern. The patterns depend on the nature and type of skin, purpose of application, intensity of utility etc.
For example if you wish to prepare a homemade recipe for acne cure, you should keep in mind the type of your skin (oily, dry, combination), intensity of acne, probable causes etc.
However generic methods of home remedies have seen to work in most of the cases, unless such skin disorders are related to genetic conditions. In conditions involving genes you may not be able to get the right sort of remedy with homemade recipes as they cannot penetrate to the levels of chromosomes and hormones behavioural capabilities. In such cases you need to approach your skin specialist and take specific treatments related to your case.
Causes for Skin Pore Clogging
Some of the most common causes for skin pore clogging are
- Excess oil deposition
- Dead skin cells
- Dry skin conditions
- Dehydration of skin
- Skin allergies
- Genetic causes
- External elements
Excess Oil Deposition
Skin pores are the channels through which sebum (oil producing pigment) distributes oil to all the skin cells in different layers. As long as the process is within normal conditions the skin stays healthy.
There are certain conditions when the skin oil gets produced in excess. One such condition is the formation of acne and blackheads due to free radicals reaction from UV radiation. Excess of oil blocks the pores, preventing skin breathing and elimination of toxic elements.
Clogged pores treatment through removal of blackheads and acne is the only solution for this problem. If the condition is in the initial stages you can get solutions for this problem through homemade recipes and treatments.
If the condition goes beyond this stage then you need to consult your dermatologist.
- Mint leaves can provide reliable cure for blackheads and acne. You need to mix 2 teaspoons of chopped mint leaves with equal proportions of yogurt and oatmeal powder.
- Blend them to prepare a paste. Apply this paste to the skin areas affected by clogged pores. Let the paste get absorbed for about 20 minutes.
- Then you can wash the skin with warm water. You need to repeat this procedure twice a day for about 10 days. Your skin can experience relief from clogged pores to considerable extent. You can use this procedure for clogged pores on cheeks as well as clogged pores all over body.
Dead Skin Cells
Dead skin cells can clog the skin pores by overlapping them. It starts over a limited skin area and spreads rapidly to cover large areas within a short time.
The most intriguing part of this type of clog is that you won’t even be able to observe them. Common symptoms are rise in skin temperature, loss of sweating, skin irritation and itching. Sometimes the skin layer becomes hard and dry.
- Apple cider vinegar (or Listerine Vinegar) is one of the most powerful liquids which can remove dead skin layers and give you relief from clogged skin pores.
- Take 2 teaspoons of vinegar in a small bowl. You can add ½ teaspoon of lemon syrup and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to give immunity to your skin while dead skin cells are being removed.
- Mix well and prepare a thin paste. Apply it all over your skin and let it soak your skin for about 30 minutes. Then wash it off with warm water.
- Take a tissue paper and rub your skin gently while it is still wet. You will be able to see the color of paper change. It is the deposition of dead cells which are removed from the top skin layer.
- Repeat the procedure after a break of 15 minutes.
Following this procedure for 10 to 12 days can clear your skin pores.
Dry Skin Conditions
Since the top skin layers containing pores don’t have any muscles you will not be able to flex them when they shrink. This condition of shrinking results when your skin goes dry. Skin pores get blocked due to shrinking of cells. It results in deposition of sweat and other toxic elements within the skin layers, leading to allergy, infections and skin diseases.
Hydration of skin is the only solution which can give you long lasting solutions from this sort of problem.
- External hydration is done with the help of natural ingredients like essential oils, vegetable oils and herbal roots and their derivatives.
- Internal hydration process has to be achieved with consumption of water and essential fluids, removal of toxic elements through hydro therapy, salt water treatments, food supplements etc.
When these two parameters are combined efficiently, they can produce highly effective results within the specific period of time as scheduled before the start of treatment. However the scheduled time could be weeks and months as the time taken by natural ingredients to cure elderly skin conditions could be relatively longer.